Our main gates at Bushwick Avenue and Conway Street are open daily from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM
1629 Bushwick Avenue
Brooklyn, N.Y. 11207
Please click HERE for office hours
RULES & REGULATIONS
PART I - CONCERNING LOT OWNERS AND LOTS
1. All lots and graves shall be used only as a burial place for the dead. Owners of lots and graves are not permitted to allow interments on their lots or graves for profit.
2. Lot owners may not transfer or assign any interest in a lot without the written consent of the State of New York Division of Cemeteries and "The Evergreen Cemetery." Once a burial is made a lot is untransferable.
3. All grave openings shall only be made by "The Evergreens" subject to established charges.
4. After the death of a lot owner, or when any interment is made thereafter a Registration of Heirs must be filed and a recording charge paid.
5. No grave shall be opened without an order in writing signed by the lot owner or the legally empowered designee or co-owner and notarized.
6. Interments in single graves will not be permitted without presenting the original grave certificate at time of burial. No photo copies will be accepted.
7. It shall be the duty of the lot or grave owner to notify "The Evergreens" of any change of address.
8. Notice of interment shall be given at the administration office by 12:00 p.m. the previous day. Except for Saturday interment notification must be by 4 p.m. Thursday.
9. No funerals shall be serviced between the hours of 11:50 a.m. and 1:10 p.m. except on Saturdays when funerals will be serviced only until 11:30 a.m. Funerals arriving after 12:00 p.m. will be charged overtime.
10. All funerals upon entering cemetery grounds shall be under the charge of the Superintendent of "The Evergreens." And no casket containing a body shall be opened within the confines of cemetery grounds.
11. No interment shall be permitted in any lot or grave not fully paid for.
12. No disinterment shall be made without written consent of "The Evergreens" and then only at the discretion of the management.
13. A concrete vault may not be buried on top of a casket, wooden box or metal vault.
14. All lot and grave owners and their families shall be allowed access to "The Evergreens" at all times the cemetery grounds are open while they observe these rules and regulations.
15. "The Evergreens" reserves the right to correct any errors that may be made by it either in making interments, dis-interments, removals or in the description, transfer or conveyance of a lot or grave. In the event such error shall involve the interment, disinterment, or removal of remains "The Evergreens" shall have the right to do so.
16. Bicycles are not permitted on cemetery grounds.
17. Photographing in the cemetery is prohibited.
18. Visitors are reminded that these grounds are sacredly devoted to the burial of the dead and that a strict observance of the decorum which should characterize such a place will be required of all. All persons disturbing the peace and quiet and good order of the cemetery by noise or other means will be compelled instantly to leave the grounds.
19. The placing of signs, bottles, shells, toys, balloons, metal designs, ornaments, chairs, vigil lights and wooden or metal crosses upon lots or graves shall not be permitted. Violations of this regulation will result in removal of these items.
20. "The Evergreens" take reasonable precautions to protect lot and grave owners and others and their property within our grounds from loss, damage or injury, but it shall not be liable thereafter. "The Evergreens" disclaims all responsibility for loss or damage from causes beyond its reasonable control particularly by "acts of God", thieves, vandals, malicious mischief makers, unavoidable accidents, riots or order of any military or civil authority.
PART II - MONUMENTS, RULES AND REGULATIONS
1. Monument dealers, setters, cutters, gardeners and other workmen before commencing work must make application at the administration office for permission and instructions. No work will be permitted on cemetery grounds until the proper permit is obtained.
2. All workmen on cemetery grounds shall be subject to the orders of the Superintendent of "The Evergreens". They shall immediately cease work when he orders them to do so.
3. All monuments and markers shall be approved by the cemetery and their installation shall strictly conform to the rules and regulations pertaining to monuments.
4. All foundations must be built by "The Evergreens".
5. Monument dealers will be required to submit a written application for approval signed by the owner of the lot or grave explaining in detail the description of the monument, or inscription applied for.
6. The Superintendent or designee shall have the authority to reject any plan or design for memorial work due to size, design, kind, quality, lack of proper description or which does not conform to the rules and regulations.
7. All monument dealers, setters, cutters, gardeners and other workmen must furnish proof of insurance against any damage to cemetery lots, graves or to cemetery property.
8. Notification of the completion of foundations shall be mailed to the monument dealer. Under no circumstances will a monument be permitted to be placed on a lot or grave without a foundation.
9. No work will be permitted on Saturdays after 12:00 p.m. or at all on Sundays or Holidays.
10. While a funeral is being conducted, all work of any description which is near enough to disturb by noise or otherwise shall cease.
11. Any soliciting of memorial business within the cemetery grounds, including unsolicited approach of the bereaved for any purpose is prohibited.
12. Memorial dealers and setters shall abide by all rules and regulations of "The Evergreens". Violation of any rule or regulation by any dealer or producer may be cause for disapproval by the cemetery of such retailer or producers.
13. No memorial shall be placed on any grave unless a deed for such grave has been issued and presented in the administration office. Memorials to be placed on lots require the signature of lot owner or heir if owner is deceased.
PART III - PLANTINGS
All single grave sections: Annual plants and perennials (Bulbs etc.) which do not grow taller than 18" or spread out are permitted. Bushes or shrubs are not permitted on single graves.
All Lots: Annual plants and perennials (bulbs etc.) which do not grow taller than 18". Bushes or shrubs are permitted when lot is endowed and special endowment for bushes or shrubs had been obtained.
All Graves: All plantings are to be confined in a space not exceeding 22" x 18" at the head of grave. Bushes or shrubs planted against the rules and regulations of the cemetery may be removed at the discretion of the cemetery, after notice to lot owner.
ARTIFICAL FLOWERS AND PLANTS OF ANY KIND ARE NOT PERMITTED.
April 1st to October 31st - Annuals, potted plants and fresh flowers only
Annuals - may be planted in front of the memorial. All others will be removed.
Potted Plants - should be removed from their pots and planted. The pots present possible hazards to the workers and will be removed.
Fresh Flowers - Permanent vases are not permitted as they are subject to damage and vandalism for which The Evergreens will assume no responsibility.
All other plantings are strictly prohibited and will be removed. This includes unauthorized trees, bushes and shrubs. The placing of signs, bottles, shells, toys, balloons, metal designs, ornaments, chairs, vigil lights and wooden or metal crosses upon lots or graves shall not be permitted. Violations of this regulation will result in removal of these items.
November 1st to January 15th - Non Growing Decorations
Christmas wreaths and blankets. Christmas wreaths and blankets will be removed soon after January 15th.
OUTLINING THE GRAVE OR LOT WITH ROCKS, WIRE, PLASTIC, WOODEN OR METAL FENCES IS NOT PERMITTED AND ITEMS WILL BE REMOVED.
JOGGING, BIKING, AND OTHER RECREATIONAL ACTIVITIES ARE NOT PERMITTED. MOTORCYCLES ARE PROHIBITED. PETS ARE NOT PERMITTED.
The Evergreens enforces strict rules for placing flowers, plants, and decorations on the grounds and will remove any that are not allowed. A full set of rules is available in our main office.
CEMETERY DISCLOSURES AND INFORMATION FORMS
The New York State Department of State, Division of Cemeteries, has also prepared several specific disclosure forms to provide information about various aspects of the regulation of cemeteries in New York.